Position Overview | The Big Picture
The Holiday Décor/Multi-Media Production Artist is responsible for creating, designing, executing and completing production of weekly holiday décor and art projects. This position is primarily responsible for concepting new holiday faux décor and themes and executing designs through installation. Projects include creating innovative designs for holiday trees, wreaths, accessories and environments. This position also participates in other art and large scale prop projects for event décor.
Traits for Success| #eyeforholidaydesign
- Skilled in holiday design, scenic prop design and construction
- Keen eye for design aesthetics and upcoming trends
- Able to work efficiently
- Creative and innovative
- Able to create, problem solve, and adjust quickly
Essential Duties | What You’ll Do – The Fun Stuff
- Creates designs for holiday scenery and props and other art for the department.
- Coordinates holiday production work to include: providing direction to production team to complete décor according to design specifications, meeting production deadlines, monitoring inventory and quality control.
- Completes production of art department and holiday projects- works alongside other art and holiday department staff in all shop activities including scenery and props design, construction and installation, scenic painting and faux finishing, and other custom art projects.
- Provides design guidance and assures quality design control by reviewing and critiquing own work and work of the holiday team, as well as those within the art department
- Helps maintain an orderly shop through daily housekeeping, tool and equipment upkeep, and engages in safe working practices with tools, supplies, and equipment to promote shop safety.
Qualifications | What You Need to Bring
- A college degree in theatre (specifically BA or BFA) (or comparable work experience) is preferred. Prior theatre technology/production experience is required.
- Holiday design and décor experience a must.
- Must often be able to work without direct supervision, be able to handle multiple tasks, demonstrate a continual desire to improve and gain knowledge of the field,
- Must also be able to work with employees from all departments of differing experience levels in a positive, encouraging manner.
Experience in one or several of these areas are preferred:
- Carpentry skills and experience with woodworking.
- Experience with finishing and rigging of theatre scenery.
- Experience with sculpting and painting techniques.