The Plant Caretaker/Installer is responsible for maintaining flower and tropical plant inventory and the plant warehouse and greenhouse. This position is also responsible for loading and unloading plants and other cargo, and installing/setting up and striking (taking down) inventory for tradeshows and events.
Traits for Success | #teamwork
- Safety minded.
- On time.
- Hard worker and good team player.
- Handy with plants.
Essential Duties | What You’ll Do – The Fun Stuff
- Completes daily maintenance of tropical plants, flowers, and other products according to established care and maintenance standards. This includes watering, replanting and pruning as directed.
- Packs, unpacks, loads and unloads plant, prop, floral products and other inventory onto vehicles and trucks for delivery to tradeshows, clients, events and venues.
- Prepares products according to inventory listed on pull-sheets and work orders for events/tradeshows.
- Returns plants, props, and inventory to appropriate warehouse locations for storage.
- Works carefully to minimize damage, breakage and death of products.
- Sweeps, removes debris from, and cleans warehouse to ensure work area is clean, neat and free from debris.
- Works directly with management and staff to accomplish daily tasks.
Other Duties and Safety Requirements | There’s More!
- Complies with all department and company safety guidelines, procedures, and rules.
- Mentors safe work practices to co-workers and team.
- Completes all safety training as directed and within established timelines.
- Interfaces professionally with all people, internal and external, in a kind and respectful manner.
- Tracks and enters time and assigns hours and tasks to appropriate events and jobs in time and attendance system.
- Completes all Human Resources and Payroll tasks and notifications through the Employee Self Service Online Portal on a weekly basis, as directed and within established timelines.
- Assists in other departments as needed and directed.
- May perform other duties as required.
Qualifications | What You Need to Bring
- Knowledge of flowers, plants and plant care preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret pull sheets and work orders.
- Familiarity with proper packing methods is helpful.
- Ability to handle plants, glass and fragile items safely.
- Good verbal communication skills to communicate successfully with the Sales and Production teams.
- Good organization and time management skills.
- Ability to work efficiently by oneself, multitask and deal with competing demands.
- Ability to take direction.
- Customer service orientation; able to maintain a professional demeanor with clients.
- Good knowledge and ability to use tools and equipment that may include: brooms, mops, pruning shears, hammer, screwdriver, hand drill, tape measure, dollies, lifts, and 8 foot and 12 foot ladders.
- Ability to tolerate long work shifts and work flexible schedules to include evenings and weekends.
- Ability to travel locally, and outside the city and state.
Physical and Work Environment Requirements | What it is Like at the Work Site
- Ability to stand, kneel, crouch, bend and reach during entire work shift.
- Able to walk 50-100% of the work shift.
- Ability to work with hands and arms during entire shift.
- Must be able to move and climb ladders without accommodation.
- Ability to work in high lift.
- Must be able to lift, carry, push and pull 30-50 lbs. repeatedly throughout the shift. Occasionally may move up to and 50 lbs. to over 100 lbs. with assistance.
- Ability to handle fragile items safely.
- Required to move between multiple buildings and locations throughout the work shift.
- Must have 20/20 vision with correction.
- Must be able to tolerate cold, heat and humid conditions.
- Ability to tolerate moderate to loud noise.