Over the past 30 years, this 20 Questions in 60 Seconds personality has designed some of the biggest and best special events in the industry. Merging his architecture background with a passion for greenery, he crafts bold designs that defy expectations!
Meet Senior Event Designer, John Beran!
1. What three traits define you?
Loyal, caring and creative.
2. What is your personal philosophy?
Work hard, but always make time for family and friends.
3. What’s one thing you couldn’t live without?
4. What is the greatest challenge you have had to overcome?
Trusting my gut instinct.
5. What is the one thing you can’t resist?
6. What is your greatest fear?
Disappointing loved ones.
7. Where is your favorite place to be?
In the garden.
8. What is your favorite thing to do?
Travel! I love to travel.
9. Where is the best place you’ve traveled?
Melbourne, Australia. I was lucky enough to go to school for a semester there, and I just recently went back.
10. Sounds like fun! What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever had?
My first job. It was being a soda jerk at Peterson’s Ice Cream Parlor.
11. What does true leadership mean to you?
Being confident and organized.
12. What inspires you most in your day-to-day life?
Nature and architecture.
13. What has been the most important innovation you have witnessed in your lifetime?
In my lifetime? Um…the light bulb. No, I’m just kidding—I’m not that old! The internet, I guess.
14. What do you enjoy most working at Kehoe Designs?
Oh, it’s the people. The people make it amazing.
15. What’s your inner spirit animal?
16. What are your three most overused words/phrases?
Well, at work they are: Wow, fabulous and gorgeous!
17. How do you define success?
Being able to give back to the community and to your friends and family.
18. What is the best book you have ever read?
19. Why events? There are so many great careers out there!
It combines all of my interests: Horticulture, architecture, art.
20. Final one: What excites you most at Kehoe Designs?
We’re always getting new merchandise, new flowers, new plants, everything. Being surrounded by this all day, you can’t help but get really inspired.
In Spring 2016, John designed the entrance garden for the Chicago Flower and Garden Show, a dynamic first impression that set the stage for the entirety of the event. Even better—John and the Kehoe Designs team took first prize in the show’s esteemed tablescape competition!
John graduated from the University of Illinois and studied at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology’s School of Architecture in Melbourne, Australia. Expanding upon his background in architecture to create technical and modern designs, John advises anyone who is curious how to excel in design: break the rules.