In high school, the siren song of the theatre pulled Kevin in hard and fast, so he chose to pursue the melody via lighting design. Lucky for us, he ended up loving the fast-paced ebullience of event design!
Here’s our attempt at 20 Questions in 60 Seconds with Event Technology Design Coordinator, Kevin Pelz!
1. What three traits define you?
Tall, energetic, and musical.
2. What is your personal philosophy?
Do your best all the time.
3. What’s one thing you couldn’t live without?
4. What is the greatest challenge you have had to overcome?
Driving on the wrong side of the road through mountains in a foreign country.
5. What is the one thing you can’t resist?
A freshly-tuned piano.
6. What is your greatest fear?
7. Where is your favorite place to be?
On top of a mountain.
8. What is your favorite thing to do?
Listen to music on top of the same mountain.
9. Where is the best place you’ve traveled?
New Zealand, because of its fantastic mountains.
10. What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever had?
At summer stock theatre, I had a stint driving a brightly-colored hearse to pick up rental equipment. That was weird.
11. What does true leadership mean to you?
Listening to people with more knowledge than you, and making a decision.
12. What inspires you most in your day-to-day life?
Challenging music I’ve never heard before.
13. What has been the most important innovation you have witnessed?
14. What do you enjoy most working at Kehoe Designs?
The variety of work that’s different every day.
15. What’s your inner spirit animal?
A snow owl.
16. What are your three most overused words/phrases?
“Is this to scale?” “Everything is different now,” and “When do you need this by?”
17. How do you define success?
Probably not caring about the price of shoes, I think!
18. What is the best book you’ve read?
Fool’s Fate by Robin Hobb.
19. Why events? There are so many great careers out there!
I love showing our work to people who don’t typically see it every day. They always seem fresh-faced and fascinated by it, which is cool.
20. What excites you most at Kehoe Designs?
The freedom—that I don’t necessarily get shouted down shouting crazy things into a room!
Raised in the quiet suburb of Carol Stream, Kevin Pelz is a Lighting Design graduate from the University of Illinois. After falling in love with the amazing world of theatre, he decided to try his hand in the fast-paced world of events. Luckily, Kehoe Designs welcomed him with open arms and dragged him starry-eyed into the bright, ebullience of event design. As long as the people will have him, Kevin is here to stay!